Prep time: 35 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4)
250g Quorn mince, (check no onion or garlic)
1 jar, (260g) of Slightly Difference Foods Arrabbiata Sauce, (use our Tomato & Basil sauce for a less spicy meal)
3 tbsp garlic infused oil
WHITE SAUCE INGREDIENTS
40g dairy free butter
40g Low FODMAP plain flour (ensure the gluten free flour is made from a low FODMAP grain such as maize, tapioca or rice)
400ml almond milk
2g ground nutmeg
20g nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper to taste
Preparing the vegetables
1. Peel the potatoes and cut into very thin slices. Place in cold water to stop them from browning.
2. Rinse the aubergine and cut into thin slices, (leaving out the ends). Brush them with oil on both sides.
3. Add 2 tbsp of garlic infused oil to a pan and fry the aubergine in a grill pan until the slices have softened and have brown grill stripes on both sides.
4. Leave to one side.
Cooking the white sauce
5. Heat the butter in a pan for the white sauce.
6. Add the flour when the butter has melted and stir with a whisk, leaving the flour to cook for a few minutes while you stir regularly.
7. Gradually add the almond milk and keep stirring with the whisk.
8. Add the nutritional yeast powder to the sauce.
9. Simmer for a few minutes until it gets thicker continue stirring for a smooth consistency.
10. Add the asafoetida and nutmeg.
11. Season with pepper and salt, leave to one side.
12. Heat 1 tbsp of infused oil in a frying pan and add the quorn.
13. Fry for 5 minutes, (use a guard as the quorn tends to spit).
14. Add the arrabbiata sauce and stir.
15. Simmer for 10 minutes on a low heat stirring occasionally to stop the sauce from sticking to the pan.
Assemble for moussaka for baking
16. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
17. Drain the potatoes.
18. Layer the oven dish with potato slices on the bottom.
19. Add a layer of aubergine slices on top.
20. Divide half of the quorn mince tomato sauce over the aubergine.
21. Cover this with another layer of potato slices and aubergine slices.
22. Spread the other half of the mince sauce on top.
23. Finish with the white sauce and smoothen the sauce with a spoon.
24. Bake the moussaka in the oven for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
25. Garnish with cracked black pepper.
This recipe has been reviewed and approved by Everyday Nutrition Founder and Accredited Practising Dietitian, Joanna Baker.
Look out for our promotion card when you receive your order to claim your free gift.